Sunday -On our way to Lake Powell today we ran into a little problem right as we were approaching St. George. Jared, Joel and I were driving behind the Goodman’s car, which was pulling the boat, when we saw a cloud of smoke. We both pulled over and discovered that the boat trailer had blown out a tire. The unfortunate thing was we didn’t have a spare tire on us but luckily the remaining tire that was still on the rim protected it from too much damage. We were also blessed that the tire blew out when it did because we were right by the St. George Blvd. exit (when it could have been in the middle of nowhere!) Because it was a Sunday and we were in Utah, nothing was open so we had to spend the night. Again, what a blessing it was that my grandparents have a home right outside of St. George where we were so we could stay for the night. Everything worked out.
Monday -This morning we were able to get the boat fixed and get on our way. Jared, Kay and I went ahead of the rest to get the grocery shopping done. On the way to Page Jared hit a rabbit. We saw the bunny in front of us in time to miss it but as Jared swerved to the right so did the bunny. For the first few seconds we were quiet, but then we started laughing. It was crazy that we just ran over an animal. I am sad to say I don’t have a picture of the bunny. Well, after the boat was fixed, everyone met up to launch the houseboat. The houseboat has 5 bedrooms, two baths, two refrigerators, a living room, a BBQ, and the works. Most people’s homes don’t even look this nice. It is amazing how fun Lake Powell is.
Tuesday -Today was our first day of water fun. Jared and I both went tubing and boogie-boarding. We all forget at times that it was the 4th of July because we were on a houseboat. Most years for the 4th we have a BBQ, go swimming, and set off fireworks. Out here you lose track of time. It has been fun being out on the lake for the 4th. At the dam they set off fireworks, but we didn’t go because they say there are so many boats and it is dark, which makes it dangerous because you can’t see very well. Unfortunately, we did not have any fireworks of our own for the 4th because the place we usually go to for fireworks had a line out the door in the 100° desert heat. Every year we stop at this reservation where they sell them, and since we were coming up here the day before the 4th, the line was crazy. We didn’t think it was worth the wait so we went without. Instead we sat out on top of the houseboat and watched other people let off fireworks.
Wednesday -Today we went to pick up Seth and Katie. I always enjoy going to pick up or drop off someone because we get to go really fast in the boat. On their way down, they were able to pick up some fireworks since we couldn’t. It was fun to watch some of them go off tonight. I don’t remember the fireworks being as good the other years as they were tonight. There were some mortars that had several fireworks that came out, almost like Disneyland. We decided to break the fireworks up into three nights worth so we could enjoy it more. In the evening we watched the video of the days activities and had a slideshow of some of the pictures I took. I have been quite the picture-taker this trip. I have taken almost 300 pictures already. Well, after that we watched a movie, “I-Robot”, which I slept in and out of because it was late and I didn’t want to be too tired the next morning.
Thursday-This morning Jared and I went on the wave runner. That is my most favorite thing to do at Lake Powell. I love to go with Jared and try to throw him off – last year I was successful. Ever since that time it has been hard for me to get him to go with me so I have to be nice at times so he will go again. After that we went for a tubing run. Joy and I went together, which is fun because I know I will be safe for the most part. Later, I went tubing with Katie and Lindsay Bounds and I got slammed pretty hard, so after that I was done for a bit. In the picture you can see us flipping and landing on each other. Tonight we had a balloon war, mostly between Jared, Joel, and I and everyone else. As they would come in on the wave runners we would attack. It was a fun-filled day.
Friday -This morning Jared, Matt, Kay, and I took Nanny and Poppo back to Wahweap so they could get their car and they could go home. It was so fun having them at Lake Powell. They were able to go in October as well, but Jared and I were unable to go due to work and school. They of course didn’t do any water activities but they enjoyed going along in the boat to watch their grandchildren. On our way back from Wahweap a storm blew in. Going through the canal there were huge waves that were crashing, along with lighting and rain. The trip from the houseboat to Walweap was fine with good conditions…it only took us 1 hour to get there. On the way back, however, it took us a lot longer because we had to go at such a slow speed. As we were going the waves would crash over into the boat and we got pretty wet and it got cold. It was an adventure but we made it back safe and sound. At Walweap we meet up with the Andrew family from the Goodman’s ward. Their son, Nick, is Brett’s friend and has gone with us the last few years. Tonight the Andrews made dinner and we played Uno Attack and watched some of the video from the morning run. Due to the storm Jared and I didn’t get to go out today. Some of the others went out really early this morning but we opted not to so we could sleep in…and we don’t like cold water.
Saturday-Today was our last full day at Lake Powell. It has been a fun week, but it is time to go back to reality and go back to work. This afternoon Jared and I went water skiing. I have only gone twice in my life so it was fun going again. It took me a few times to get up, but once I did I was able to get up every time. It was so fun. Also, Jared was able to get up on one ski and slalom. We both were pleasantly surprised at how well we did and how fun it was. In the past it has taken a lot to get us to go skiing. For some reason it makes me a little nervous to ski and it is more work to ski than anything else. Since it was our last day we tried to get a lot in. We went on the wave runners, went swimming, skiing, floated on a huge raft, did fireworks, and played some games. It has been a great week and we are already looking forward to next year’s trip (hopefully we can go since Jared will be starting his rotations at the hospital!)
Sunday-Today we left Lake Powell. We went to church in the morning in Page, then had pizza with everyone before we took off. Jared, Joel, and I drove home together in our car so we could all get back to work for Monday. Little did we know we wouldn’t arrive until 1am due to bad traffic: first on the highway between Baker and Barstow, then on the 91 (where they merged all four lanes down to a single lane for a few miles). It made our trip much longer than expected, but we made it safe and sound.
No comments:
Post a Comment