Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Settling in

We have been in the "cabin" for three nights now and things are coming along. I feel like there is still so much to do but we have done SO much thanks to our family and a huge thanks to mom for staying a few days to work on projects. We couldn't have done it without family! Ethan is adjusting everyday. Friday night we packed up the moving truck and shut the doors to our old apartment. It didn't seem real to me until we were taking one last walk through the apartment and then we shut the doors. It is very hard for me to move on from our UCI days. I know I say this a lot lately but I have LOVED our days there. That is where we became a little family of three and then four. That is all Ethan knows and we left our friends behind. I am trying to have a positive attitude and find the good in LA and have faith that I will find friends not only for me but for Ethan. I feel sad for him. We had the perfect setup there and hope to find that again.
Saturday we all headed up to LA to unpack our stuff. Ethan was with Grammy for the unpacking but came in the evening to meet up with us. At first he was running around, so much to see and take in. It was as if it was Christmas overload. He wanted to go swimming as that is what I have been telling him we would do in our new house. We set up the pool for him and let him play even though it wasn't that warm. He seemed to enjoy the home until bedtime came. As we were telling him we were going to go to bed he said, "No, I want to go home!" We told him this was his new home and he said, "I want my old home." After a little convincing we got him into bed. Since we have been here he talks about the wood-panel walls in his bedroom scaring him. What boy wouldn't be scared? It's pretty funny but he is wanting his old wallpaper up so he won't be scared.
On Sunday we went to our new ward and as we pulled up we told Ethan this was our new church. He said, "I want my temple, this is not my church." Every Sunday as we drove to church he would look out for Moroni as we got closer to our church building. We were very lucky to have a temple across from our ward building. Most people don't get to see the temple on a weekly basis like we have had the last several years. Our new ward is very small! On Sunday there were maybe 100 people, only 7 kids in the primary to sing for fathers day and we only saw one little girl Ethan's age. There are several kids ages 15-18 months. We didn't stay the whole time due to colds so hopefully a family was on vacation that had a handful of kids or Ethan might be in nursery by himself some weeks. I was hoping our ward would have kids his age and women my age, but the women seem a little older. Coming from a huge college ward I was taken back to what a "normal" non-student ward is like. I am sure it is a great ward and I'm going to jump right in to make friends.
It definitely is nice having a home with more place to play. I love the garage and storage that it provides. I think Ethan will enjoy the backyard. We have been so busy and haven't been here long enough to fully take it all in, but all in good time!

1 comment:

The Dilanji Family said...

I hope you guys will adjust soon to your new home/area! The boys are so cute! Tanner is absolutely ADORABLE! I want to kiss him!