Friday, August 24, 2007

Anniversary/Baby Wise

For our anniversary we went to dinner at Outback Steak House and then to McDonald's for a sundae. We wanted something like Dairy Queen but the best we had around us was McDonald's and it did the trick. On our honeymoon in Hawaii McDonald's was the only thing around us so we had McDonald's at least 1-2 times a day. I don't think we have had it too many times since but in Hawaii it was better than walking far for food and it was very inexpensive. On our honeymoon, every night around midnight we would just start to get hungry because of the time change so McDonald's was always open and we would get a sundae and McChicken sandwich. It was good times! For our anniversary Jared gave me flowers which I love. It was a fun day.

I have been reading a book that Laurie let me use called "Baby Wise" and it is a pretty good book. I have heard mixed reviews on the techniques they suggest but Clayton and Jack have always slept and Laurie used these techniques so I am going to give it a shot. As I have talked to other mothers I have found everyone has their own routine and thoughts on when you should feed a baby and how you should put them down for a nap or to bed. It is pretty interesting.

This book talks about three different feeding philosophies:
1.child-led feeding (also known as cue feeding, demand feeding, response feeding, ad lib, and self-regulating feeding)
2.clock feeding (also known as scheduling)
3.parent-directed feeding (PDF)

1.The problem with the first feeding philosophy, child-led feeding, is that the feeding times are not constant and are very random. Three hours may pass between feedings, then one hour, followed by twenty minutes, then four hours depending on the baby's hunger cue.

2.Clock feeding: Feeding times are guided strictly by the constant of the clock. The clock determines when and how often a baby is fed, usually on fixed intervals. The critical variable of a hunger cue is not considered. The parents' role is to be submissive to the clock.

3.Parent-Directed feeding: Both the variable of hunger cues and the constant of time guide parents at each feeding. The parents' role is that of mediating between both the cue and clock, the variable and constant, using parental assessment to decide when to feed based on actual need.

I am going to do the parent-directed feeding. The book also says that after the first few weeks you should feed the baby, play with the baby and then put the baby done for a nap. This will help them get into a routine.

The book says that from the first week to ten days of your baby's life, you should work on getting a full feeding at each feeding. Do not think about the clock, think about a full tummy. Focusing on full feedings during these early days will help your baby transition naturally into a predictable 2 1/2- to 3-hour routine within two weeks. After that time, the clock becomes an aid in helping you plan your day. After ten days, a daily routine for most new mothers will be a continual repeat of a 2 1/2 to 3 hour cycle from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next. Feeding times initially will be more constant than wake times. That again is due to the natural sleepiness of your baby in the early postpartum days. As you move beyond the first week, wake times will gradually become more predictable and constant.

This book is very informational but it seems kind of stressful as well. I feel like once the baby is out you need to start this big routine and hope it works. I know I will just have to experience it for myself and see what works but these do seem like some good tips.

On a different note this is Jared's last day of his first rotation. He will be off for the baby now, which will be a lot of fun. This week we have gotten a lot done to prepare for the baby. We have gotten a lot of the last few things we need and have done a lot of returns. I still feel really good and I'm just as active as I have always been but I am starting to feel tired at times throughout the day. I went to the doctor on Wednesday and she said the baby is really low and I am starting to dilate and the baby was 60% effaced. She said it looks like everything is right on schedule so that is good to hear.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

These are good notes to blog on Babywise. From my experience, not following the schedule to get them flexibly routined is a lot worse than if you don't. What's hard is the fact that they eat so darn much the first few weeks. Fortunately as you know that passes!