I asked Jared how his interview went today. His response: "The bad news is I really liked the program." To explain, after arriving here and seeing how ghetto Oakland is, our expectations were very low and we figured we wouldn't even rank this place. Well, after his interviews he was very happy with the friendly environment and the feel he got from the program. They are good to their residents and there's a positive feeling of unity and tight-knit relationships. We shall see, still looks pretty scary to me!
After his interview we took the BART across the bay to San Francisco and walked down to Pier 39. After much walking we were ready for dinner and a place to rest. As we walked we were intrigued by the people we saw. There are so many different kinds of people here - business people, homeless people, lots of black people and very few white with all kinds of people in between. We all have a story and I wondered what some of theirs are. As we looked into so many of the restaurants we saw lots of business men having meetings . It was late and something we don't see often in Orange County. There are also lots of people out running on the main streets because that is the only place for them to run (since there aren't really any residential streets). It's definitely a sight to see!-We've seen several different people digging through trash cans on the street-When we got to the hotel, instead of saying "Welcome to the Hilton", our parking voucher said "PLEASE LOCK YOUR DOORS. We are not responsible for any damage to your car while in this parking lot."
-At the Burger King drive thru there is a sign that reads, "There is a $1,000 reward for providing information on anyone that vandalizes this building."
-When Jared pulled into the Trader Joe's parking lot, some hispanic guy pulled up and said "Hey, I noticed the dent on your car. I can fix it for you cheap...only $60."Jared: no thanks, I've leaving town tomorrow.
Dude: I can do it tonight!Jared: no really, it's fine.
Dude: okay, I'll do it for $40. But I gotta do it tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment