Thursday, January 15, 2009

A little of this and that

This last week we have had some hot days, making it feel like we are in June instead of January. The forecast shows we will have a few more warmer days but then things should start to cool back down. It has been kind of nice but then again I am not ready for the heat. We are still in the winter months but you wouldn't know by the temperature being in the high 80's and 90's. I have been considering going swimming or to the beach but instead Ethan and I have been enjoying the park.

Ethan is getting his molars in which is causing him some pain and a fever. Yesterday we put him to sleep at 6pm since he was so tired, just laying on us. If you know Ethan you know he never lays on you and that is all he wanted to do yesterday evening. Poor little boy cried out a few times last night but is now back to his playful self today.
Ethan is starting to bring us items we ask him for. Yesterday I told him we needed to change his diaper and he went straight to where the diapers are and brought one to me. He did it again later in the day and when I told him to get his car or his blanket he got them and brought them to me. I need to start using this to my advantage: "Ethan go get me a drink". :) Just kidding!

This year I want to make some new recipes and try to branch out from the five recipes I usually make. I also want to become a master of bread and rolls. Last Sunday Laurie and I tried out a new recipe I found for rolls and they were really good and easy. I want to make those again and also work on my cinnamon roll skills. I don't bake all that much because that means either we have to eat it all, or it goes bad, or we give it all away. I feel that I will cook and bake more when I have a home. I will have older children to eat the food/treats and every kitchen item will have a spot that will be easy to get to. The kitchen we have now is small with little space for all my cooking utensils. There are so many wedding gifts we have in storage because we don't have room for them in our kitchen (or anywhere else in our apartment). When we have a home we will have a dishwasher to make the clean up process much easier and effective. I also don't feel our kitchen counters are all that clean. I clean them often but just knowing they are pretty old and so many people have lived here before us makes me wonder. Also, having more and older children will cause me to want to bake cookies with them - we will make fun holiday treats and create some baking traditions. I know I don't need a house to bake so I will practice now so I will be a whiz when I have my big kitchen someday. Any recipes for me?

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Weaning first children off of bottles, doing the potty training, moving to a big boy bed...are extra hard with the first kid and don't get much easier with the subsequent kids. I find you do eventually learn repeatedly that the transitions are never as bad as parents think they will be. Ethan may still drink a lot with the sippy cup. Seems to me like a lot of kids do. They don't end up needing as much liquid as they had before, but still are drawn to drinking - in my experience.

Heather said...

I wish I had recipes to offer, but I am struggling in that department too. I actually have gotten some really good recipes (mostly casseroles) from Kayli's mom, which are delicious. So it you want those, let me know. I can't believe it's so hot there. It hasn't snowed here in over a week, but it's still freezing. How cute of Baby to bring you items. Haha, I'd like to see that. Hopefully he keeps that up for a while.

Heather said...

Oh, and I was thinking it'd be fun to make cinnamon rolls! If you have the recipe you and Laurie used on your computer, send it my way! I'd like to try it Monday morning.

Anonymous said...

call me monday morning, heather thanks :)