Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tanner David Goodman

Born at 6:09 pm
7 lbs 6 oz and 20.5 inches long

Little Tanner is a cute and happy baby. He came into this world with big blue eyes and a calm demeanor. Immediately after birth he was so alert and curious about the world around him. We are not too sure who he looks like at this point - he might have his own look. He has short brown fuzzy hair. We are so grateful to have him as part of our family.


Now on to the birth story - My labor progressed fast once the antibiotics had run its course. Right before they broke my water I was at 6 cm, and within five minutes was at a 9. At this point I was in great shape feeling no pain or contractions. Even though I was totally comfortable I got the epidural shortly after my water was broken and before the pitocin was started. I was amazed with how smooth everything was going. Well, the plan for this labor was to do everything we could to prevent ripping, so we were going to let the baby drop as much as possible before pushing. Once I hit 10 cm I started to really feel the pressure and started to feel like I needed to push. I held off for quite some time just to make the pushing that much easier. I could totally feel my legs and what was going on before pushing so this made me nervous. With Ethan I could not feel my legs at all and they had to hold them up for me because I was so numb. I had too much anesthetic with Ethan but not enough for Tanner. I felt everything as if I was going natural - including the tearing and all! I only pushed for 39 minutes (thank goodness because I couldn't take too much more). I was praying hard the whole time, as was Jared (I found out later). Once Tanner was born I was so grateful and just cried in relief. And, despite everyone's best efforts, I still had 2nd degree tears this time. In fact they had to numb me up with local anesthetic to stitch me cause I was feeling it. On top of that, it took over an hour to finish stitching because they had a student do the whole thing - got pretty ridiculous to say the least. Finally, once Tanner was out I felt fine and the recovery so far has gone smoothly. He is nursing well and seems to be a happy baby. We are so grateful for our many blessings.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Cute pics! Good to see an update. I can't believe Ethan looks so old and mature holding his brother. Is he really just 10 months older than Evan? Weird!

The Dilanji Family said...

Congratulations Goodman family! We are so happy for you and I'm glad everything went well. I hope baby Tanner will be a good and easy baby. :) God bless you all!

Anonymous said...

Christy: What a beautiful baby! Congratulations! I read your post and laughed because I remember having students "practice" on ME too! Tell your mom to give me a call--it has been way too long since we've talked. Take care and get some rest!