Saturday, November 01, 2008

A few more days left

With only a few more days left before the election, everyone is trying to get their voice heard about Prop 8. This is a critical time to remind everyone to vote (and to vote Yes on 8). The church members have been asked to give several days/nights each week to work for this cause. The latest polls show us neck and neck with the opposition. It will be close for sure.
The church members have been hosting "phone calling" parties where mass calls are made to the community. Today volunteers are going out in the communities to hang reminder tags on doors to remind them to vote on Tuesday and Yes on 8. Others are putting signs up along the streets to help advertise. Stakes throughout California are going to busy intersections during rush hour to wave signs.
Yesterday about 25 people went to wave signs at the corner of Newport and Irvine Blvd in Tustin. Jared was able to wave signs earlier that day with our home ward on the corner of Jamboree and Michelson in Irvine. It seems to be very effective with overwhelmingly positive responses from those that drive by. I wish I could have been out there with everyone, but children are not supposed to be there, and unfortunately it is difficult to help out like I would like to with Ethan. But regardless, Jared, Ethan and I were able to stop by at least for a short time to take some pictures. I held a sign for a bit and it was a lot of fun.
Usually what happens is people who support Prop 8 will honk their horn and wave. Others may cuss and give you the finger, but for the most part it is very positive. On election day, volunteers will have lists of those who have voted throughout the day, and will call those that have not voted yet to get them out and vote before the end of the day.
It is amazing how much time and money people have given to help protect marriage, and hopefully it will pay off. Children don't need to be taught about gay marriage in school - they are exposed to way too much as it is. I document this now so that one day we can look back and remember and show our children what we fought for. Times are changing and so must we. We have to be strong and stand up for what we believe in.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I LOVE all these pictures. I am so glad everyone went to help out! Pray for good results today!!