Thursday, August 24, 2006

Monday-August 21st



This morning we got up early so we could get to the Statue of Liberty before it got too hot and before the lines got too long. The weather was nice while we were there and it was so amazing to see Lady Liberty. When we were on the ferry and started to get close to the statue, I started singing, “She’s beauty and she’s grace, she’s Miss United States.” I know that is for Miss America and is on “Miss Congeniality” but I thought it fit well. It was so neat to be up close seeing something that you have only seen in pictures or in textbooks. We walked around for a bit and then went to Ellis Island. We didn’t want to get off the boat and walk around to see Ellis Island but we saw it from the ferry. Once we got back we went on a tour of the NBC studio, which was fun but it wasn’t what I thought it would be. I was hoping it was going to be like the wax museum, meaning we could go from room to room seeing what they had and taking a lot of pictures. You were not allowed to take pictures and we only saw two sets and those were the ones I was not that familiar with. Jared was and he really enjoyed seeing them so that was good. He was the one who actually suggested them. I think on the tours they see what people want to see and take them to two of them. We saw the set for Conan O’Brian and Saturday Night Live. The Saturday Night Live set was full of stuff all over. It is like their storage room for the summer because they are not taping right now. Because of that you could not see it that well but it was a neat experience. We were bummed that we couldn’t see a show filmed. All of the main shows are not taping while we are in New York. They will start this week, but we will be on our way to Washington. Next time we come back we will have to see a show filmed and see the Today show outside the studio. After the tour we got on the subway and went to Queens to see the US Open tennis stadium. Tomorrow they are starting the qualifiers for the tournament. It was too bad we were a day early but it was interesting to see Queens and the stadium. Luckily, the stadium was right next to the subway because Queens is not somewhere you want to walk around for a long time. The subway was such a great experience. In the morning it was fast-paced with people all over, going in and out of the subway. It was just like the movies and could be just as dangerous as some of the stunts they do in the movies. Someone could easily push someone in the track and that would be the end of them. The subway was hot, stuffy, had trash under the tracks and we saw a rat running through the trash and sewage. It was pretty cool. In the evening we saw Phantom of the Opera, which was excellent. The singers were amazing and next time hopefully we will be able to see a few more.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I'm glad you liked Phantom. I didn't think it was excellent when we saw it in London, so I'm glad you thought it was. I thought it was pretty neat though.

Yea, the subway is really an interesting place. I have only taken it in Europe but I assume it's pretty much the same. You definitely see an interesting cross section of people real close up and personal. I never thought of being pushed down on the tracks. That's kinda a depressing thought.

The Statue of Liberty looks really cool.