Monday, August 07, 2006

Wednesday-August 2




This morning we arrived at Grand Turk at 7 am. Jared and his dad woke up before the rest of us and headed out to see what excursions they could find on land. They came back and had good news for us. We were going to be able to snuba and snorkel. I was so excited because since I have known about this trip that was the one thing that I really wanted to do. We quickly got ready and headed out. The snuba was not offered until 12pm so we had a few hours to kill. Some of us went shopping around the island and then went swimming in the clearest water I have ever seen. It was as clear as pure water that you would drink. You could see the ocean floor and the sand was so white. We got to swim pretty close to our ship which was fun. After that we got on a boat and went out into the sea. Half of us did snuba while the rest of us snorkeled. Jared, Matt, Kay and I were the first group to snuba. At first it scared me and I was struggling with it. I felt like I couldn’t breath when I went under the water. I just couldn’t figure it out and I didn’t want to hold everyone up so I took off my weights and stayed at the surface. A few minutes later after practicing how to breathe it just clicked and I was ready to go under. I got the weights back on and I was good to go. I had no problems after that. I was able to join everyone else at the bottom of the sea. It was so amazing. We went 15 feet under water to the sea floor. We all touched the bottom and got to touch the coral. I was a little hesitant too because I did not want to cut myself. There was not much to see in the way of fish but there was some neat coral. It was just so neat to have the feeling of scuba driving. So far that has been the highlight of the trip for us and I think it will continue to be. We had a fun day off the ship. Once we got back we got ready for dinner. At dinner the ship director got on the microphone and once again informed us that we would not be able to go to our next port due to Hurricane Chris. She said we would be okay in Ocho Rios for the day but on the way back we would be coming right behind the hurricane so the sea would be rough. Again for our safety our route was changed to Freeport, which is in the Bahamas again. It is kind of a bummer because we had some cool things planned and we were just in the Bahamas…but what can you do. Well, tonight the show was the best yet. Marcus Anthony was the performer who sang motown. He was black so he was up beat and had some soul. He could sing so powerful with no effort at all.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Love the photos and write ups. You're so good about writing about all your fun right away. I'm glad you're having so much fun this summer.