Friday, May 23, 2008

Final Cake Class

Last night was our last cake class where we created our character cake. I decided to make Tinkerbell, Heather made Little Mermaid, and Laurie made a Pirate. Last night was a learning experience for us when it came to getting our character cake out of the pan. None of us had made one of these cakes before so we called the store to ask how to bake it so we would have complete success and they were little help. They told us to follow the instructions but the problem was that there weren't any. The lady told us to cook it as if it were a 9x13 pan which was the right thing to do. The cakes all cooked just fine so we were off to class.
We took our cake to class still in the pan and the teacher told us we should have taken them out of the pan about 10-15 minutes after baking them. The pan needs to be warm because the oils will help it out. It would have been nice if she had given us some instructions the week before. We also greased and floured our cakes and she told us we should have only greased them. I know had we only greased them she would have told us we were supposed to do both.
Luckily, Heather's and mine came out of the pan with just minor facial repairs. Laurie's did need major reconstructive surgery but it worked out. We just scraped the face off the bottom of the pan and started decorating. To start, you put white frosting around the edges of your cake. You then outline the cakes with black pitting gel which helps you know where you are going to put the hair, face and so on.
After the black gel is on you start mixing your frosting with the colors you want to start the character cake. We used the tip that looks like a star (number 16) for most of the cake. It was a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Even if the face had easily come out of the pan the cake really is a blank slate that you have to design.
The picture above is what the cake should look like and the picture below is what it turned out to look like. I was really happy with the outcome of the cake even though you can never get a cake as perfect as the picture they show. Over the past few weeks I have not eaten the other cakes/cupcakes we have done because the frosting creeped me out. This cake did not have a lot of frosting at all so I ate it and it was good. I had it with some Cookies and Cream ice cream which is an added bonus. I have really enjoyed this class and hope to make several cakes with the new techniques we have learned.

No comments: